The Authority has statutory power to regulate telecommunications, broadcasting and postal services; collectively referred to as communications sector. The Authority has the powers among others to:
- Facilitate new entry into the Lesotho communications market and the provision of new communications services, including converged communications services;
- Protect the interests of consumers of communications services;
- grant licences for the provision of communications services and prescribe licensing fees;
- allocate resources used for the provision of communication services, including radio frequency spectrum and telephone numbers;
- suspend or revoke licences;
- Advise and support the Universal Service Fund Committee.